Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #3



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where, each week, a Top Ten list is posted based on a particular topic.

This week's: Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in Fantasy Genre

Fantasy is probably my favourite genre but I don't manage to read as much of it as I do contemporary or paranormal I know it's weird; how can this be my favourite genre when I don't read a lot of it? Since I only read YA, I've found that there are very few pure fantasy YAs - as in set completely in a fantasy world rather than someone in reality who steps into a fantasy world, so I'm going to include some that have paranormal crossovers.

I'm most likely going to name the series because it's the whole series that makes it fantastic and my favourite - although the ability of book 1 to draw me in is really important.

1. Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas

But more specifically CROWN OF MIDNIGHT OMG <3 I cannot wait for Heir of Fire I need more Celaena and Chaol!!!
Maas has created an amazing world that glitters and shines but is also full of darkness and bloodshed. From a castle made of glass with a tyrannical king to the 18-yo assassin that is reputed to be the deadliest assassin in Adarlan comes a beautifully woven tale full of intrigue, mystery and heartache.

2. The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo

Oho the DARKLING <3 Shadow & Bone, the first book in the series definitely stands as my favourite of the series yet. I can't believe this series finishes this year!
Set in a world that is similar to Russia, those born with a magical affinity are taken in to be trained under the Darkling's Second Army - a privilege that puts them above commoners. Our protagonist possesses the ability to open the Fold, a place of darkness filled with horror that is constantly growing. Under the direction of the seductive Darkling she ventures into the world of the Grisha and ohhhhh the story that unfolds is just glorious.

3. Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I know this one is more paranormal/mythology but I think the combination of the two makes this fantasy too!
I adore, adore, adore this series. Aiden St Delphi and Chaol Westfall (from Throne of Glass) are tied as my #1 book boyfriends and Covenant stands as one of my favourite series of all time. I can re-read this forever and not get sick of it.

4. The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa

Best. Faery. Series. EVER. Ash <33333333333
The series just kept getting better and better!
Half-mortal, half royal Summer fey, Meghan Chase starts of as a bit of a flaky character but I love her change and growth after she ventures into the Nevernever to save her brother.

5. Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson

Can't believe I waited this long to read this series. I was really hesitant as book 1 got really mixed/negative reviews but everybody said the series really picked up. I finished book 1 in 1 day and book 2 in 1 day as well! I should have bought them all in one go. Waiting on my book 3 to arrive now! Hectorrrr.

6. The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta


I've actually only read the first book in this series but I do own them all. I LOVED book 1, I don't think it's possible for Marchetta to write a book that I don't like.

7. The Lotus War by Jay Kristoff

GIVE. ME. ENDSINGER.

8. The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

This series is more UF/paranormal but it IS abour faeries and the protagonist does at times venture into other-worldy realms. This is my favourite adult paranormal series and Barrons is my ultimate alpha!

9. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

I'm not sure why so many people don't like this because this has been one of my favourite books of all time. I'll admit however that I wasn't able to read the rest of the series - I really didn't like those and couldn't get into them. But yes book 1 is lovely and Marr's writing is so eloquent.

10. Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda

Ahhhh my first ever foray into the world of fantasy. As a child I hated the covers (actually, I still do) but adored the stories - don't judge a book by its cover really applies here lol. One of the best fantasy series of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment